Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My Literature Class: The Mumbler

Oh, where to start.

I mentioned in my last post not involving Mumford and Sons that there is an idiot girl in my literature class (the "Get a divorce!" girl).

She's getting better and better.

And by "better and better" I actually mean "worse and worse."

The good news is, other people are starting to talk in my English class, so I'm staying quieter.  Yay!  The bad news is, the other people who are talking are this girl.  And her buddy, the eighteen-year-old boy sitting next to her (the mumbler from the earlier post).

So, let's actually talk about The Mumbler first, because I can confine my comments to just two things he has said recently that were wildly misinformed and/or exemplary of any jerkish qualities he may possess.  Plus, GAD Girl deserves her own post.

Last week, we somehow ended up talking about the Border Fence that we have here between our state and Mexico.  He believes deep in his teenage soul that this fence will work.  I did not disabuse him of this, but then he uttered the words:

"Well, it worked in Korea."

Now, I am not very good at schooling my features into an emotionless mask when people utter idiocy of this kind.  I'm pretty sure I looked really, really shocked at the time.  I managed to get out "No!  Nonononono..." before the professor changed the subject.

There are just so many things wrong with that statement that it's so hard to pick just one.  I think I might just let it lie and let you all think over just the basic difference between a demilitarized zone and a fence that just stands there, not doing much.  You can ponder all the situational differences and the political differences and the consequences of each and all that on your own.

Yesterday, he told me I was wrong.  Just flat-out wrong.

I can handle being wrong.  I don't like it (who does?), but I can handle it.  However, this is literary criticism - it's a lot harder to be wrong when you're giving opinions about something you read.  Even if you don't agree, it's not necessarily that the other person is wrong, it's just that you don't agree.  I'm really great at saying "I see your point, but I don't agree" or something else that doesn't completely discount the other person.  Especially if the other person is older than me.

I have shifted from worrying about the future of the nation to worrying about what my household is going to be like when my kids are teenagers.  Is this what we're all like as teenagers?  This is horrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment