Wednesday, March 2, 2011

US History Liveblog #2: 2 Mar 2011

2:52pm - Only two minutes late today.  He just walked in.


I don't think he has our tests today, either.  I am trying really hard not to lose my mind right now.  He's being incredibly secretive about it.


Apparently, we didn't finish talking about Moral Economy, etc.  I cannot imagine what's left to say about that.


Oh, maybe we did.  We're going to talk about The History of Ideas.  I'm not certain that's part of the curriculum for a US History class.  Oh, Lord.  He's begging our pardon in advance for "waxing philosophical."  This is going to be painful for me, and hilarious for you.  Enjoy your time in CCC's US History I class today.


He just said "Is the pen mightier than the sword?"  Is that what we're talking about today?  For reals?


Your feelings on the world will be influenced by your beliefs on the world.  Just so's you know.


Wait a minute.  If Plato, Aristotle and Friends are "the Ancients," how the hell is American History "Ancient History" as he asserted on Monday?  Does he not see the disparity of years there?


Oh, apparently Atlantis is sunk off the eastern coast of South America.  It'll be found one day, he says.  So not only do scholars of ancient literature owe him for the Homer declaration on Monday, but archaeologists, too.


He is pointing directly into some poor girl's face, accusing her of eating the proverbial Apple in Eden.  I just don't think she looks old enough for that.


Thank you, Wiki, for clarifying the Chain of Being.  Not only for myself, but apparently for this professor, too, because he's giving us a watered-down version of it.


This table is still making my laptop crooked.


Oh, sweet baby Jesus.  He's singing "If I Were the King of the Forest" from The Wizard of Oz.


3:05pm - 13 minutes in, and no digression so far.  He is, however, cracking himself up, so that may be why we're not digressing.


He is following the outline of the Great Chain of Being article from Wiki almost exactly.  I'm sort of following along.


3:07 - First story of the day about British people.  He says that they currently - in current day Britain - spend time arguing around the dinner table about whether or not a marquis is higher than an earl.  He guarantees it.  This is surprising to me, because that issue isn't an opinion.  There's a very clear set of rules there, and I bet you could Google it right at the dinner table, even if you were a savage.


3:13pm - He's singing "You Sexy Thing."  But he still hasn't digressed, technically.  He's just using it for some sort of emphasis.  We're at 21 minutes now without digression.  This has got to be a record.


There is a TV in this classroom.  I would like it a lot better if he just let us watch the History Channel or something twice a week.


I see.  We're talking about the Enlightenment, not so much The History of Ideas.  It took him 24 minutes to mention that.


Do you have an intellectual sword?  This man does.


Oh, Lord.  He just said "I don't want to be offensive here, but..."  So far, every time he has said that, he has been horribly offensive.  Oh, not too bad.  He used it to justify questioning the Immaculate Conception.  Well, that was very conscientious of him.


This class is making a lot more sense than most of his other classes.  Which leads me to believe that maybe this is what he did his thesis on.


3:21pm - Still on topic!  This is bound to be a record!


Even if he doesn't have our tests today and promises them on Monday, I'm still not coming here on Monday.  My brain can't take it.  I love you all, but I can't throw myself on that particular pyre more than once a week.


He's still talking about Isaac Newton in a rambling sort of way, so I'm going to take this moment to tell you that I ran someone off the road in between my classes today.  It was really the fault of a rogue ambulance that tried to kill us all.  I was trying to get out of its way when I ran into someone else's lane that I didn't see and they ran up on the curb and tore up the lawn of an office building.  Then we all met up at a parking lot down the road and assessed the damage.  There was none, other than a bunch of people (myself included) who thought they were having heart attacks.  But the dude who came out of the car in question had a full-on grill in his mouth, top and bottom.  I thought I was going to get my ass kicked.  Which just goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover, because the first thing he said was "Hey, are you okay?"  To which I said, "Yes, are you okay?"  And then I apologized, and they accepted, and everybody drove off.  Weirdest effing thing.


I really should probably buy a little bottle of lotion and keep it in my bag.  My hands are really dry.
3:37pm.  Oh, sorry.  I started looking at pictures of babies on the interwebs.  He’s still talking about John Locke.  And Libya.  What?
I guess checking out for a little bit was okay, because just now, we’ve circled back to his original point: John Locke and Sir Isaac Newton were “philosophes” that helped to foment the Enlightenment.  And also wielded their pens about indiscriminately.  And their intellectual swords.
This has got to be part of his thesis when he got his master’s, because this is the most focused I have ever seen him on a topic.  Too bad it results in a lot of repetitive crap, but yay him for being mostly unmockable!
I could be doing a crossword puzzle right now.
He very nearly spelled Voltaire “Voltair,” but saved himself at the end.  Redemption!  And then he said “Hey, did the Virgin really get screwed by a bird?”  Aw.  Redemption revoked.
You people realize that nobody can sit behind me in this class, right?  I have to sit in the very. back.
He just said “En francais, ecrasez l’infame.  Sigh.  Pretention.  He either ruined or enhanced the pretentious effect by writing “E.L.I.” like it’s a well-known acronym right after.  I can’t decide.
He just suggested that we all read L’Encyclopedie by Denis Diderot.  He refrained from suggesting that we do it in French.  He’s describing what one might find in L’Encyclopedie, and I’m pretty sure he’s just making this shit up because he knows that not a single soul in this room is going to test him on it.  I’d test him just to be perverse, but I think it might be boring.
I just want my test back I just want my test back I just want my test back.
3:50pm – Still no digression.  But we’re also still talking about Voltaire.  And now he’s working Benjamin Franklin into it.  If only he didn’t take twenty minutes to make a single point, and his classes were like this one everyday, there would be nothing to make fun of.  It would just be a regular old class.  And you would miss out on all this.
I think he thinks “waxing philosophical” means “talking about religion.”  He’s not even talking about the mechanics of religion – any religion.  He’s saying things like “They believed in God, or in a Supreme Being.  Sorry for waxing philosophical.”
Wow, crazy – he’s been this focused all day and his dad passed away this morning.  Bless his heart.
Aaaaaand, that's it!   He'll be at his dad's funeral on Monday, so he'll see us Wednesday.


The girl next to me mumbled something at me before she left.  I think she does not care for the liveblog.  Too bad for her that I don't care what she thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment